Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Security issues for external users

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I will explain what I am looking for. We are a company that has many users not connected to the same network where I have installed the SQL server. I would like the the users not on the same network to be able to connect to the server to get the data source session info. Then be able to go offline and retain the info on their local machine. All of that currently works. Here is the new feature:
Make users that connect via offline mode log in to the server once a day to get updated session info and also to make sure their user account is still a valid user account.
For ex-employees, I do not want them to have the connection info stored in off-line mode forever.
<em>edited by james_burd on 7/18/2011</em>

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
You are absolutely right. I will add an offline mode expiration policy. Thank you

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Is there an ETA on the expiration policy update?

Clock8 yrs

I will try to squeeze it for the next beta.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
It's official, this will be in the next version

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Is the offline data encrypted in any way?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
Yes it's encrypted and it's not possible to copy it to another computer. It's using some computer information to create the key

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Would it be possible to include the SQL Server password (or another user defined password) in the encryption key?
I'd like to secure the data so that users have to enter a password every time the data source is connected or decrypted from the offline data.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I will add this to our todo list, you are absolutely right, this will be more secure

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

David Hervieux wrote:

Hi,
You are absolutely right. I will add an offline mode expiration policy. Thank you

Hi David, the last few days I've been testing with 6.1.8.0 and the SQL Server expiration. When I start RDM, I click 'Open Offline: yes', but after a few days, the sessions are still available.
Have I missed an checkbox somewhere? How does the expiration work?

Regards, Paul Molensky

Clock8 yrs

The default expiration is 7 days. The value will be editable in the next beta release.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Is there a minimum client version that is needed? Or does only the database need to be updated? I have installed a newer version, set the expiration to 1 day but the offline user (that did not update his version) did not expire?
Also, what is the behavior once the offline session expires? Will they be prompted to connect online? Will they attempt to connect to a session and be met with a pop up telling them their offline mode has expired?

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
You have to update the client, you can set a minimal version requirement in the data source settings to force your user to use only the latest version. When it expires, the application just show a message "unable to connect to the data source". You can go online after that.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs