Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Adding a session to multiple folders

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hello,

First of all: RDM is great! smile

I have a feature request though: I would like to be able to put a session in multiple folders. If this could be done, we would only have to edit and manage a single session for a particular server, but we would be able to access it from multiple folders.

We now have a session tree in which we have folders for particular types of servers (terminal servers, application-related, backup-related, etc), but some of those servers are (for example) both terminal server and application-related.
So we now have the original session in a folder called "Terminal Servers" and a duplicate of the session in a folder called "Application X". This way we can easily manage all terminal servers at the same time and we can also easily access all servers for application X.

It would be great to have this feature, because we would still have the benefit of accessing a server from multiple folders and we would not have to edit 2 sessions in 2 different places if we want to add some details or change the description of the server.

The simplest way I can imagine to make this work is to be able to do a multi-select in the "Group / folder" box in the "Connection" tab. It could then be separated by a "|" character or something in the database.

Making it even more interesting would be if you could make an alias of a session, which will also be able to have its own overriding settings (e.g. in the folder terminal servers, I would like to log in to the server using my own credentials and opening a regular session, but in the folder "Application X" I would like to log in to the same server using an administrator-account and opening the console session).
I know this is way more complex, but the multi-select for folders would already be a very welcome addition.

Thanks in advance for considering this feature request. If it's already possible to do something like I described, I haven't been able to find it yet. Maybe someone could point it out to me if there is a way to do it in the current version?

Kind regards,
Remco

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
This is an interesting feature, I could add a shortcut feature maybe?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Yes please :-)

If it's not too much trouble, I would be very happy to have such a feature. I can't wait for the update! :-)
Thank you very much for considering this to be an interesting feature.

Kind regards,
Remco

Clock8 yrs

PLEASE...I was hoping that this already existed. It would be very nice.

Lance

Clock8 yrs

Was anything ever added to address this? What I would like to have, rather than just adding a session to multiple folders, would be something akin to "search folders" where you can create and save a search as an expandable item in the navigation sidebar. This way, for instance, I can tag a servers with things like their operating system and function and then have folder called "Windows Servers" that will always provide an up-to-date list of servers that are tagged with "Windows" and a folder called "Database Servers" that might have all my sessions tagged with "MSSQL" and "Oracle."

*This is very similar, if not identical, to the request made here: http://forum.devolutions.net/topic5214-dynamicfilter-based-group.aspx
edited by tsmith on 2/25/2014

Clock5 yrs

We don't have this for now. I have a feature request on my todo list to create a view with the tags

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Great. Thank you for the quick response!

Clock5 yrs

+1
Maybe also as user specific setting.
edited by Peter Cermak (POI) on 3/19/2014

Clock5 yrs