Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Socks Proxy (chain) per session and/or group

• Create an Issue

Hi,

let me start with complementing on an excellent product.

For my day2day usage I have a need for configuring a SOCKS-proxy for some sessions. Currently I start a new instance from a product called FreeCap. Disadvantage is I need an instance of both FreeCap and RDM for every socks-chain I need and then I loose connection to the connection respository. I would expect it to work similar to VPN. Only route through (a chain of) socks-proxies when not pingable/always/manual.

Thank you for a great product!

Regards, Paul

Regards, Paul Molensky

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I'm not very familiar with FreeCap, is it possible to open it and close from a command line? If it's the case you could use the Generic VPN session type add-on and configure it.

Let me know.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Hi, FreeCap has no commandline interface. It has a GUI, from which you start your desired application. FreeCap captures all traffic of the application and routes it to a (chain of) socks proxy.

Regards, Paul Molensky

Clock8 yrs

Sorry, I already asked the question on another thread, I really don't know how to integrate it.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Too bad. If you ever come up with a clever solution I would appreciate it to be implemented into RDM. For now I will keep opening new instances through FreeCap.

Paul

Regards, Paul Molensky

Clock8 yrs

To other people finding this thread:
I'm trying ProxyCap now for SOCKS proxying my connections. It works on system-level, instead of starting applications from a GUI. ProxyCap redirects traffic based on hostnames and/or ip-addresses to different proxy-servers. One advantage for FreeCap over ProxyCap, it allows for chaining multiple servers. Still testing and tuning, but I think I've found a solution to 90% of my situations.

Paul

Regards, Paul Molensky

Clock8 yrs

Thank you Paul for the tips.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs