Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Create new user in RDM, but not as SQL user

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

I'm running into a problem here when I'm trying to deploy RDM to our userbase: When they try to connect to the data source for the first time, they get an error that they do not have permission to INSERT into 'UserInfo'. This is by design, and not something I can get our DBAs to change smile

Ideally users would be created like this:

Untitled

The workaround is to manually create every user (or just script it) prior to them logging in for the first time. Is this something that's possible in RDM or only in RDM Server?

Untitled.png
Clock5 yrs

Hi,
I will verify with Maurice and Stefane to see if they provide you a script. This should not be very hard to write.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Joey,

My guess is that user that was logged into RDM didn't have enough SQL privileges to completely configure the users (see the SQL privilege list below). Chances are you have a few entries in your application log (Help -> View Application Logs) to this effect.

So now you have a few options:

1 - Manually grant/revoke each users privileges, if you like this option please let me know I will send you a sample script that you need to run for each user.

2 - Create a temp datasource using a SQL admin account ("sa" for example), then in RDM, on each user hit Edit & Ok. This will set user privileges according the users settings in RDM.

3 - Grant your current RDM admin user (yourself I'm assuming) the required privileges and perform the same steps as option #2

Regards,

------------------------------------------------------
Summary list of the user privileges required for RDM users:
Admin
• SELECT privilege on master.dbo.syslogins (check if login exists)
• SELECT privilege on sys.database_principals (check if user exists)
• GRANT privilege
• DENY privilege
• CREATE/DROP privilege on USER/LOGIN/TABLE/VIEW/PROC/TRIGGER/FUNCTION
• SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE on all tables RDM
• CREATE DATABASE (only required when you create the database, you can revoke after the fact)

Non-admin (this will be managed by RDM)
• SELECT, INSERT, DELETE, UPDATE on some/most/all RDM tables depending on user privileges assigned within the RDM user admin screen

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

Joey,

After talking to David, I think I misunderstood your initial request.

Let me know if the first post was of any help (probably wasn't) and I will supply you with the script to create RDM users via SQL script.

Regards,

Stefane Lavergne

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs