Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

RDP Keep alive

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Hi,

I, like most, have a policy which disconnects or logs off and inactive RDP session after sometime of inactivity.
That's a good thing for security,
However, on some occasions (Usually when doing some critical work on several servers at once) I would like to somehow keep those sessions open.
Currently I have to go to each session and issue a mouse click or something to keep it alive.
If I get logged of I need to then re-logon, wait for my secure token ID to be regenerated, re-open my now potentially lost work, and start again.
It would be nice if it was possible to have a feature where one could, for the duration of the session, select an option that would somehow keep the session alive.

The only suggestion I have of achieving this is by somehow sending it a key stroke or mouse movement every x minutes.

Clock8 yrs

Hi,
I will have to do some test, but I saw something in the ActiveX, not mstsc about the expiration. Maybe this could help. I think that it's a timeout. What delay for example would you need?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock8 yrs

Typically the session timeout is 15 mins but it could be anything depending on your security policy.
I suppose if it needs to be hard coded 5mins would be a good figure.
If possible it would be nice to right click the active sessions tab and select "Keep Alive"

Clock8 yrs

Was this ever implemented?

I know about the Keep Alive setting under the Experience tab for Embedded RDP sessions. But I sometimes need to set the display to External and this prevents me from using the Keep Alive setting.

I just need RDM to inject a mouse or keystroke every 14 minutes (just before the 15 minute timeout). I can't change the group policy setting as I'm not authorized / domain admin, so it's not that simple.

I'm wondering if configuring a macro will do the trick, but I'm not sure.

Always using the latest beta RDM version.
Local data source.

Clock12 mths

Hi,
I've already tried to implemented without success. It's still on my todo list with the status: need to find a solution.

Regards

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock12 mths

I have accomplished this in the past with other managers by rotating through opened tabs. Perhaps a setting per tab group to allow rotation through the open sessions with a selectable time interval would be possible? The user could then drag/drop sessions from/to the tab group as needed to keep a session alive.

Clock11 mths

I have created a workaround by running a Autohotkey script on the server. I have attached the script itself with the code, as well as a .exe that you can run directly. You will need to install Autohotkey if you were to run the script, or if you were to modify the script and convert it to a .exe (there's a compiler in the Autohotkey program files directory that you can run). Alternatively, you can just run the .exe file compiled from the script. This does not require Autohotkey to be installed.

Always using the latest beta RDM version.
Local data source.

KeepAlive.zip
Clock11 mths