Forum / Remote Desktop Manager - Feature Request

Hardware Tab (Additional Information) or Asset Tab

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Team,

Can you add "Asset Tag" below memory & above details? Also possible can you add "Monitor, Serial Number, & Asset Tag" as we have users with dual monitors and it would be awesome to be able to enter that information in along with the RDP session to the workstation. If not an Asset tab would be great that would list:

Server: Dell Server 510
Service Tag: D12345
Serial Number: N/A
Deployment Date 1/1/14
Asset Tag: 1234

Workstation: Dell OptiPlex 10
Service Tag: ST1234
Deployment Date: 1/2/14
Asset Tag: 0000

Monitor 1: Dell WP200
Service Tag: ST9874
Asset Tag: 5555

Monitor 1: Dell WP200
Service Tag: ST9874
Asset Tag: 6666

Felix

Clock5 yrs

I was wondering if it's possible to use a powershell script to get this info into RDM.

Would be awesome when taking on new customers to support from our point of view if we could grab the system details into RDM via a quick script rather than doing this manually. Automatically adding to a Hardware tab would be awesome.

Clock5 yrs

@Felix

What type of UI do you want for the monitor? Does a multilines textbox would be ok for you?

@Mark

I don't know any PowerShell to fill this information but if you can find one to extract the data, it would be easy for RDM to fill-out those fields.

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

David,

A multiline would work as that would allow the additional information to be added. Would it be possible to have that information searchable via the filter? It would be awesome to have some sort of asset recording/management that can be built upon in future versions.

Felix

Clock5 yrs

Would be very practical if RDM could fill/import this information from external sources.
Just on the top of my head:
- SpiceWorks (free)
- Lansweeper (very fairly priced)
- Solarwinds Server & Application Monitor (one of market leaders)
- ...many more

//Brandur

Clock5 yrs

I'm not sure if this is possible to import the data but I will add this to our todo list. Do you know if it's possible to export it or perhaps have an API to read it directly?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

SpiceWorks:
http://community.spiceworks.com/help/Data_API_Tutorial

Lansweeper:
(I didn't really find anything concrete)
http://www.lansweeper.com/kb/35/How-to-connect-to-Lansweeper-SQL-compact-database.html

Solarwinds Server & Application Monitor:
(I didn't find anything here)

Some of our smaller customers do use SpiceWorks as it's free.
I can see that the SpiceWorks community is very active and has a lot of users.
You can always start somewhere wink

But as usual, I am just thinking out loud here smile

//Brandur

Clock5 yrs

David,

Can you enable the hardware tab to be a searchable option in the filter? Also can you duplicate the Asset Tag entry to be under the CPU/Memory options as well since the asset for the machine would be a separate entry compared to the monitors.

Felix.

Clock5 yrs

I can't add the filter fields. Do you have some that you want? We plan to add a search dialog with all the fields. Do you need an asset for each monitor?

David Hervieux

signaturesignature

Clock5 yrs

David, now that I think further into the request... would it be possible to move the "monitors" & "asset tag" to the purchase tab?

So it would be from top to bottom Purchase, Warranty of the primary session (example RDP to user workstation). Below that should be same two items (purchase & warranty) for peripherals 1 and you can have a OS type drop down for your item like (monitor, scanner, printer, phone, tablet, etc.) and then below that a second set of Purchase and warranty for the second item.

I know that may be a duplication of sorts but I'm trying to add in the peripheral information linked to the primary rdp session to a workstation as an example. Or maybe you can put on the future drawing board an asset feature that you can link and unlink based on what you want to do with the session (aka rdp workstation) as we do move workstations around along with their corresponding peripherals. Sorry if this is more work but asset information would be a big plus in RDM!

Felix

Clock5 yrs