Forum / Remote Desktop Manager Mac - Feature Request

Workspaces

• Create an Issue
  • Cancel

Maybe this is not a new feature and I missed something: All the time I start Remote Desktop Manager I do the same thing-
1) Open my SSH sessions
2) Do split screen
3) Broadcast input

Is there any way to automate this? I mean - either to have ability to save the state or to have the script that automates that?

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

There is no such features as of yet. I'll add this to our TODO list.

Just to be sure, you'd like the sessions in the broadcast channel to be remembered and re-added to it when you open them back?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Xavier,

yes, application remembers the state and recreates using some kind of profile or workspace item.

Things to remember - open sessions, position of these sessions(split screen, new tab, etc) and broadcast input toggles

Thanks!

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

The opened sessions should already be remembered. When you quit RDM leaving sessions open, the next time you start RDM should prompt you if you want to relaunch those session.

Remembering broadcast status shouldn't be too much work, but remembering position might require a bit more time. I'll add this in the TODO list though.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Cool, thanks!

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

I have some more questions for you, if it would not bother you.

I've been looking into implementing this and while I was doing this I came across some interrogation.

How I started to go about, I was going to remember (in a file) for each data source when the broadcasting was enabled on a session (and for which session) and that, until the user disable it manually. So if it was checked on, each successive time the session would have been open, the broadcasting would be turned on.

But re-reading your message, I realize that would be quite limited (and quite difficult to implement for the split position of sessions thereafter). How I see it now, you'd like to have a way to remember "templates" (let's call it so for now) containing the currently opened sessions, their position and their broadcasting state. A bit like our Playlist entry works, though this only launch a collection of sessions, nothing about their placement or broadcasting state.

This second feature would be a bit more complicated for the broadcasting, but a lot less complicated for the placement of sessions (split + undocked view) and would offer a better versatility since it would offer you the possibility of multiple "templates" for different purposes.

In the end, you're the user. Which of those better fits your workflow?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Hi Xavier,

Sorry for the late response,

What if we do not remember current state and have a wizard for a new "workspace"

maybe it is too much to ask, but that's how I see it:

- Each "workspace" is a separate window.
- In workspace settings there are sessions and a checkbox if this session participates in broadcasting
- Positioning should be simple - either every session is a separate tab, or all the sessions on the same screen. In this case application arranges windows automatically, just make tiles that fit into the window

What is gives us: all workspaces are independent and isolated. Also they could be run simultaneously, so multiple workspaces support.

Does it make sense? Let me know if you need more info on that. Thanks

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

This is interesting. Though to create a new "workspace", I though more about a Save new "workspace" menu item that would take currently opened sessions of selected window, their split state, their size and broadcasting status. When "launching" a workspace, it would launch all sessions and place them accordingly. I think this could make it a bit more versatile than just a wizard, while I could still add a wizard too.

I could look into implementing split screen for the undocked (external) windows. Which would allow an embedded and external mode for the "workspace", in both case organizing sessions in a split-able container, either in the Main Window or in a new undocked window.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Cool, makes sense. Thanks!

Clock2 yrs

BTW, I can participate in any beta testing if there is any?

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

There is actually an option for beta versions:

BetaUpdate

We haven't made a lot of use for it though, I'll see into releasing more versions with beta features in the future.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

BetaUpdate.png
Clock2 yrs

Nice, thanks

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

This feature was added in the 5.2.0.0. I waited for the 5.3.0.0 before mentioning it before the issues with iTerm (closing right after being launch, and even some crashes) are noticeably exacerbated by launching multiple of them at the same time (e.g. via a workspace).

The 5.3.0.0 also added our implementation of the broadcasting to the SSH Shell session. So you might want to begin to switch (if you could also report back and tell us if it works as you expect, this would be much appreciated).

To add a new workspace, you need some sessions launched (and optionally but preferably splited, since this is one of the major differences compared to the playlist) or else you'll get a "The workspace is Invalid." error:

Workspaces

WorkspacesMenu

You add a new workspace via the "New Workspace..." menu, delete one via the "Workspaces..." menu and launch them via the list that appears below the separator (or in the window opened via the "Workspaces...").

The splitability of the undocked window has also been added in RDM 5.2.0.0. If you want to create a Workspace from an undocked window, there is a new menu on those windows:

NewWorkspaceFromUndockedWindow

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Workspaces.png
WorkspacesMenu.png
NewWorkspaceFromUndockedWindow.png
Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

One other thing. There seem to be an issue where launching the workspace doesn't get brought to the front of the application. It is still launched, you can right click on the dock icon and select the newly added window.

DockMenu

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

DockMenu.png
Clock2 yrs

Hi Xavier,

DO i need enterprise version to see this feature? I am using free one and cannot see workspaces.

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii, you're right. This is a mistake.

I'll get this fixed.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

Thanks! Will be waiting!

Clock2 yrs

Hi Sergii,

I've enabled the feature in the Free Edition. I've build a preview version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/zq32jpsi2c14i6g/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Free.Mac.5.3.0.1525113218.dmg?dl=0

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs

It's awesome, thanks! Started using it and the only issue I found was mentioned by you before.

Clock2 yrs

Good to know! Don't hesitate to mention any other issues. We did our own testing, but there can always be use cases that slip by us.

Best regards,

Xavier Fortin

signaturesignature

Clock2 yrs