Bugs, comments or suggestions; anything related to Remote Desktop Manager Beta
7/2/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Hi,
We are happy to announce a new beta for Remote Desktop Manager. This is a major update with a lot of new feature. Please make sure to backup your database before using it in production.

Let me know if you have any problems.

== Release Candidate ==
http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.9.19.0.zip
http://download.devolutions.net/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.8.9.19.0.exe

You can download it here:

== Highlights ==

- Entry default values
- My Personal Credentials
- Private connection list per user
- Re-open last data source on startup
- Play list to organize or open a group
- Offline mode with read/write support
- Todo management
- Intelligent cache to optimize the loading of a large data source
- Document management
- Contact management
- Native integration of 1Password, LastPass and Passwordstate
- SQL Server basic role management
- New reports
- Run as different user support
- Dynamic credential vault link
- And more
edited by dhervieux on 10/1/2013

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/2/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Change history:

- Added "Open with Custom Parameters" menu for Team Viewer and Radmin
- Added a context menu to open the connection the ping/continuous ping tool
- Added a My Personal Credentials default values
- Added a private connection list per user with SQL Server
- Added a prompt for connection type in Radmin
- Added a self signed certificate generator tool
- Added a specific field for the Mastercard secure code
- Added a SQLite vaccum functionnality to pack the database
- Added a stop button in the ping/tracecrt tool
- Added an option to re-open last data source on startup
- Added application and version fields in logs
- Added Certificate Manager in application tools
- Added contact management
- Added document management
- Added export phonebook when it's embedded
- Added intelligent cache to increase the performance
- Added more diagnostic details (is Internet connected and allow multi instance)
- Added multi open RDP embedded/external
- Added native support for 1Password
- Added play list support to group entry together
- Added png support for rtf text
- Added proxy support for embedded UltraVNC
- Added read/write support for the offline mode
- Added security access for attachment
- Added support for embedded WinSCP
- Added syntax highlight for SQL in Data Report
- Added tab bookmarks(Ctrl+Shift+1 to assign and Ctrl+1 to goto)
- Added the 64bit version of application
- Added the comment in the warning dialog when a user is already connected
- Added the domain field in the filter
- Added the possibility to add add-hoc log comment
- Added the possibility to import/export .rdm and .pvm file with a masterkey
- Added the status text in the dashboard
- Added the VPN list in the Add new entry
- Added the writable offline mode with sync
- Added todo management
- Added two shortcuts to navigate the tab page (Ctrl+Shft+Left and Ctrl+Shft+Right)
- Added a shortcut to focus the tab page content (Ctrl+Shift+Up)
- Fixed a possible issue when creating multi shortcut (related to database group size)
- Fixed an issue with the send key of a password containing a %
- Improved the attachment management with more settings including the embedded view
- Improved the sqlLite integration
- Optimized the loading of a large data source with the offline file
- Reorganized the data source configuration dialogs
- SQLite is now the new default data source type

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/2/2013
Alexander Gran
Alexander Gran
Expert user
Doesn't work. I get a never ending loop:
1.) Please enter your credentials
-> Both DOMAIN\username and just username don't work
-> Connect leads to "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials" -> Ok -> Back to 1.)
-> Cancel leads to "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials" -> Ok -> Back to 1.)
-> Go Offline leads to "Invalid username or password, please verify your credentials" -> Ok -> Back to 1.)

Had to task kill RDM.

Using a RDMS 2.0.3.0 server.
0 link
7/2/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Hi Alexander,
I have uploaded a new build with the same version number. This was a backward compatibility issue but it's now fixed. I will release RDMS 2.1 soon.

I also fixed the PowerShell problem.

http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.9.0.0.zip

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/2/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Hi,
Beta fixes, including the personal vault crash

http://download.devolutions.net/Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Bin.8.9.1.0.zip
http://download.devolutions.net/Setup.RemoteDesktopManager.8.9.1.0.exe

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/2/2013
Alexander Gran
Alexander Gran
Expert user
Doesn't work, still the same loop. I can now go to offline mode, but then I see no sessions.
0 link
7/3/2013
Xanacas
Xanacas
Expert user
Dear David,
one more, a great beta release!
I would really prefere, if you could update your first post with history and downloadlink, otherwise (later) we'll have to through several pages of thread posts to find your latest version
0 link
7/3/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
@Alexander

Could you verify the application log to see if you can find an error. I know exactly the problem but maybe because of the translation, I'm unable to catch it. Here it is. In RDM 9.0 and RDMS 2.1, we added a new login method with more details, for example it contains the RDM version number. This is useful to detect old client. Howerver this is a new API and what I suspect is that RDM does not detect that this API does not exist in RDMS 2.0.3. I added an auto detect but the error message might be in another language.

@Xanacas

I will do both, I will post a new message and update the first one. I want to post a new message because this notify the other users

@All

This is the first beta release. We know that we still have a lot to do. Don't worry if something is not perfect right now. We have more than 2 months to polish it.

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/3/2013
Alexander Gran
Alexander Gran
Expert user
[03.07.2013 14:21:40]ERROR Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSLoginException: Invalid user name or password, please verify your credentials!
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.Login(Boolean useCredentials)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.get_Proxy()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.ExecuteAction[T](ExecuteActionDelegate`1 action)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.ProxyGetData(String proxyConnectionCacheID, Byte[] version)
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Business.DataSources.RDMSConnectionDataSource.GetDataSourceSettings()
at Devolutions.RemoteDesktopManager.Managers.ConnectionManager.LoadDataSourceSettingsFromDataSource(BaseConnectionDataSource newDataSource)
0 link
7/5/2013
tommucha
tommucha
Working great so far, seems to run much faster with our 1995 entries in our SQL database. Is there a place I can learn more on how the offline read/write work and how the intelligent caching works? I'm more interested in how the offline mode does it's thing and what happens if there are 2 offline edits are done at once and conflict since we have about 15 people in and out of offline mode all day (either off site or working over a VPN without split tunneling).

Thanks! Great job on making RDM better!
Tom
0 link
7/5/2013
Stefane Lavergne
Stefane Lavergne
Devolutions staff
we don't yet have the full documentation for Offline Read/Write & Intelligent Caching but here is a quick (very quick) overview.

Intelligent Caching - we use a combination of "cache id" & "row version" to only sync deltas from the server. There are a few situations where the entire cache is invalidated (user rights have changed for example).

Read/Write Offline - changes are stored (& flagged) locally in the local offline file. When going back online it will sync with the sever to get the latest version and then compare changed sessions vs the current sesions. You will be prompted with a sync changes window (see below) here you can compare/accept/reject all the changes. We use the simple xml representation of the sessions for compare purposes similar to the Session History feature.

Give it a try, duplicate your data source, go offline on data source 1, change session "A", change to data source 2, change the same session (live this time), back to data source 1, now go online. You will be prompted with the synch changes window and your session will be flagged as conflicted. (Note: we have a bug, you might be prompted twice, you can reject/accept changes on the second time, it doesn't change anything, I will fix it today)

Regards,

edited by stefane on 7/5/2013

--
Stefane Lavergne

Attachments:
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG
0 link
7/5/2013
tommucha
tommucha
Awesome info - thank you! I'll play around with a duplicate to see what happens.
0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
So far it works great for me a two other co-workers. Today I had three others install the new version (8.9.1.0) and they cannot see any sessions. The get the entire tree structure but no connections exist. I tried making one of them an administrator, that didn't work. I had them uninstall and use the same executable I downloaded, that didn't work either. They can test the database successfully. I know this is a beta so just thought I would pass the information along.
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
@ctcomp

Could you go in File->My Data Source Information to see if their user has the rights

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
This is what he has.
General = He is not an admin and he is not allowed to drag and drop
Sessions = Add, Edit, View Details, View Information, and import.

Side note Offline Mode is Read-Only for him and I and we did change it to read/write.
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Could you try a Windows-Reset Layout to see if the sessions are filtered. The last thing you can try, is Ctrl+F5 to force a refresh

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
Neither one resolved the issue. He un-installed (8.9.1.0) and installed (8.4.0) and he is able to see the sessions. Is there some kind of logging we can turn on?
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Yes and you can install both version side by side. Just make sure to put the 8.9.x in a folder like c:\RDM

To see the logs, go in Help->Diagnostic->Profiler

Post the log here

If you disable the cache and the offline, does it work?

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
We disabled cache and the offline and he doesn't see anything at all. We also created a new user for testing and that use doesn't see anything as well. He able to create a connection and I can see it after I refresh. When we test server and test database both are successful. Seems like a permissions thing...
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Hi,
Send me a print screen with the File->My Data Source Information from 8.4 and from 8.9 There must be a difference between the group or the assigned permissions.

dhervieux at devolutions.net

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
Can we do a WebEx so you can see what we are looking at?
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Unfortunately not today but on Monday without any problem.

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
It seems that you user only view the session without a security group assigned.

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/5/2013
ctcomp
ctcomp
OK we found the problem... I think. We never set a security group to our "Customer" top level folder and everything under it was set to <none>. We have another top level folder for network admins that did have a security group applied. Funny enough the three people that I said aren't having a problem are all members of that group. The other standard users were not a part of any security group. So I created a security group and applied it to Customer root folder, assigned it to the users and they are now able to see the sessions. Thanks for your help and timely responses.

FYI, this was not a problem in the older versions.
0 link
7/5/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
Hi,
I think I know the difference. If you edit the group with the version 8.4, you will see that the Cascade Security is optional but in RDM 9.0, it's always true. This was very confusing that the security was only applied on the group info and not in his sub-items.

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/7/2013
tommucha
tommucha
Hi David - the performance of online mode over a VPN seems to be way better than before with our SQL database. We would see the program lock up when adding/modifying entries while connected to the VPN.

Question - My personal credentials - can you give a scenario of how this would be used? I'm guessing I could use this with my personal domain admin account, and then can set a user specific setting to use those creds. Sound about right?

Tom
0 link
7/9/2013
Martin Brandt
Martin Brandt
Expert user
Hi,

I had modify my Datasource and found some new options. What can I configure there?

Greetings

Martin

PS: Good work, it is really much faster than before.
edited by Martin on 7/9/2013

0 link
7/10/2013
Alexander Gran
Alexander Gran
Expert user
Hi David,

any idea when we can expect a fix for our login issue?

regards
Alex
0 link
7/10/2013
David Hervieux
David Hervieux
Devolutions staff
@tommucha
My personal credential is exactly for that. It's to enter your default domain credentials and to re-use it everywhere.

@Martin
Those are all the SQL Server connection string settings:

http://www.connectionstrings.com/all-sql-server-connection-string-keywords/

@AGran
Sorry I forgot to post the RDMS update with the fix:
http://download.devolutions.net/RDMS/RDMS.2.1.1.0.zip

--
David Hervieux

0 link
7/15/2013
Alexander Gran
Alexander Gran